Places to worship
Religion has played a pivotal role in the lives of many Marwood parishioners for centuries, with the earliest reference to the existence of a church appearing in the Domesday Book. A marked change occurred during the mid 19th century, when several new churches of varying denominations were built in the area, and their importance is acknowledged in the following extract from an article in the North Devon Journal in 1937:
Tribute should, perhaps, be paid to the fact that the great cause of religion has always been most worthily upheld in the Parish, being indeed, a widespread family tradition in many cases.
Source: North Devon Journal, January 1937