Marwood Methodist Church
Services at 11:00am unless otherwise stated
Our Minister - Rev. Jonathan Froggatt Telephone: 01271 812574 e-mail: email@example.com
Methodism in Marwood dates back to 1806 when services were held at Blakewell Farm. A small community formed and 20 years later , in 1828, the first chapel was built in Marwood, on a field known as Furze Rick or Dughill field. The land was donated for the token amount of one guinea and the chapel cost £164 to build. It was opened in 1829.
By 1870, the congregation had grown and designs for a bigger chapel were drawn up by the leading North Devon architect and lay preacher Mr Alexander Lauder of Barnstaple, on the adjoining 'closes of land' known as Lower Cawsey, Marwood. This chapel was completed and opened in October 1874, with seating for 200. The collections taken at the opening service, combined with the generous gifts donated by the congregation, covered the building costs without any debt.
In spring 1874 the Old Chapel briefly became a Day School and then, for more than 60 years, was regularly used for Sunday School and parish teas. It is now a private house. In 1974 the Chapel was extended for the Sunday School, opened by Mr Carter.
Today Marwood Methodist Church has a car park and graveyard and is a small friendly country chapel with Sunday Services at 11.00am.
JANUARY 2021 - In the light of the recent rise in coronavirus infection and the National Lockdown there will be no services in our church until further notice.
MARWOOD METHODIST CHURCH HALL HIRE - details from Christine Smith 01271 850364